Pages

Sunday 11 January 2015

Winter 2015 Nail Routine (for weak nails!)


So I'm someone who, unfortunately, has been the victim of weak nails for a number of years now. As for the reason, I'm not sure why, but over the past year or so I've been taking a number of steps to get my nails back to good health. The best thing is that it's working! This little post will show you some of my tips to getting that gorgeous at-home manicure.

Step 1. Nail File - If you've got nails that are prone to breaking, it's important to keep them from getting too long so they're less likely to catch on anything. When you're filing, try to always run the file in the same direction as this is kinder on your nail. I like to use a glass one as they last much longer.

Step 2. Nail Buffer - These are great for creating a smooth surface for your polish to go on. I use these in order of the numbered steps. Unfortunately, all nail buffers I've tried smooth down very quickly (including this one from Sephora) so if anyone has any suggestions of good ones, let me know!

Step 3. Strength Serum - Next, I use this Superdrug nail serum, which has given me much nicer nails. At £3.99 it's very inexpensive (especially as you only need to use a tiny bit) and has shown positive effects even though I don't use it as often as the recommended twice a day. Make sure you let it dry before continuing with your routine.

Step 4. Base Coat - A good base coat is essential to protect your nails from staining and help your polish last as long as possible. This OPI base coat can also be used as a top coat or a strengthener, so is perfect if you'd like to save some money. I use just one coat of this, but if you're using it as a strengthener you can use multiple layers.
Left to right: with base coat, with two coats of polish; with top coat.
Step 5. Nail Polish - Probably the most important thing in your manicure! The product pictured is part of Avon's gel range (great polish for decent prices) and I also recommend brands such as Sally Hansen, Topshop, or Barry M Gelly Hi-Shine, which are all fairly inexpensive. I like to do two coats, then use a cotton bud/Q tip dipped in nail polish remover to clean up the edges (which I didn't do on the pictures above - apologies!).

Step 6. Top Coat - This final step will make your polish long-lasting and super shiny! My Sally Hansen one is very fast drying which definitely comes in handy when you're in a rush. Your top coat can make or break your manicure, so make sure its a good one. Again, I just do one coat of this polish.

So that's it for my nail routine! It might seem like a lot of faffing, but for the long-lasting results, I think it's definitely worth it. Make sure you check out my last post on my current nail favourites to see what polishes I'm loving at the moment. If you've got any tips for making my nails as strong as ever, be sure to let me know!

Thank you for reading, Tasha xo

No comments:

Post a Comment